Photo of NJCU Catalog image Hepburn Flowering Tree Detail
Notification of Student's Rights Under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. These rights include:
- The right to inspect and review the student's educational records. Students who wish to inspect and review their educational records may do so by notifying the Dean of Students. The Dean of Students will schedule a mutually convenient time for said inspection.
- An educational record is any type of record containing information directly relating to a student and maintained by an educational institution, or a party acting on behalf of an institution.
- The right to request the amendment of the student's educational records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student's privacy rights under FERPA.
- A student who wishes to ask the University to amend a record should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.
- If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify the student in writing of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
- The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information from the student's educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:
Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue
SW Washington, DC 20202-5901